Tuesday, March 29, 2011

IIMK - The Interview

The last of my IIM calls was scheduled to happen on the 28th of Mar 2011. Though I had not particularly kept up with the latest happening owing to ill health, I had some previous interviews to back me up and give me the confidence required to face this one.

I was required to report at the center at about 8:30 A.M and I did indeed reach about an hour in advance and that point on I so wanted the process to get over as soon as it could.I could hear a few Malayalam words flying around.Incidentally a significant proportion of the candidate population were Malayalis.

Coming to the business end of things,at about 9:00 AM we asked to write a composition on a given topic within half an hour. The topic was a abstract notion really. One could interpret it in any way.I felt this gave me more leeway in drafting the essay and I had quite a few points in mind but I could jot down just about half of them for lack of time. This was followed by a rather strict check of the documents and candidates without the photocopies of the originals were asked to fetch the same.The verification of these documents was the most time consuming part of the selection process. After each verification, the candidate was asked to move to the interview section where one was almost instantly called in for the same .

There were a couple of gentlemen in the room where the interview was meant to take place. I was ushered into the room by a gentleman well into his forties,I would guess.I was asked to submit the photocopies of the documents to the panel during the verification of which they began asking me questions. They did not take a look at the originals which I had carried with myself.I was asked to take my seat. Right from the word go I was getting the feel that the interview would be relaxing. Atleast the professors made me feel really a ease.
Written below in conversational style is what transpired in the next 15 minutes (the interview,I observed, was of a shorter duration). I shall refer to the interviewers as I1 and I2 and myself as Kunal

I1: Good Morning
Kunal: Good Morning

I2: So Kunal tell me about yourself
Kunal:[And thus went my practiced answer in reverse chronological fashion with much elan and fervour.Lol]

I2:[well at ease] Mmmm. Tell me which was your favorite subject in Electronics engineering
Kunal:[Oh I hate that. Why dig the past? In any case I didn't want to drift too far away from Communication] Digital Electronics and Communication system [I was actually tipped off of this potential question by a previous interviewee]

I2: OK. Tell me the difference between the difference between 2G and 3G from a technical stand point. not from a scam perspective.Ha ha
Kunal:[I was obviously not amused having to start the interview with question i was not completely aware about] The primary division is from a modulation perspective. [Explained what modulation was]But I do not clearly know which modulation schemes are used for 3G communication

I2: So why can't they employ 3G enhancements in 2G?
Kunal:[Not sure what the question meant]I think the correct way to look at the question will be from the point of division really which is the modulation scheme rather than looking at it from the point of view of why 2G could not have 3G schemes. The schemes were gradually improved

I2: What is the difference between 3G and 4G?
Kunal:Not sure if I would be able to answer that. I'm sorry

I1: What is an avalanche breakdown?
Kunal:[Was a little rusty but felt I did a good job with answering this question with a detailed explanation]

I2:I see you haven't written your salary here [pointing to the space on the Personal data form where the information was requested]
Kunal: It was an optional question I preferred not to answer

I1: I see you have a good grade point and you have a nice job . Why MBA?
Kunal:[Spitted out my practiced answer this time with more gusto about why I want to start an education firm imparting Financial basics to students of Std 10th and 12th]

I2: So you target will be high school students. How do you think you will be able to attract students when they are busy preparing for the IITs etc?
Kunal: I think much of this would depend on the marketing strategy.My USP would be to allow students to make an informed choice of a career in the future.I would initially want to start my business in the summers where students will have the opportunity to prepare for their entrance exams as well as devote time to learning more about finance and economics.

I2: Okay. Since you mentioned you want to impart financial basics etc., etc., can you tell me what the Limited stands for in Goldman Sachs Pvt Ltd?
Kunal[Damn. I didnt remember.]I remember we were told about this during our training, but I don't think I would remember now

I2: Try.
Kunal: [I thought professing ignorance would be better than darting in the dark]It has something to do with the legal processes.I'm sorry that's I would know

I1:So I see you have got a call from IIMB too .Which among IIMK and IIMB would you choose if given a chance?
Kunal:[Practiced]. It is a tough question. I will cross the bridge when I reach there

I1: What is so unique about IIMK that you would want to join?
Kunal:[I had not done any research on their website, so didn't know what really set IIMK apart]I have spoken to people who have passed I have passed out of IIMK and they were always impressed with the quality of education and faculty. It is a great place to be having proven its worth over the past 8-9 years. Not to mention I did my engineering from NIT Calicut and IIMK had its beginning in the NIT Campus. So I have a natural affinity.[I dunno why I said the last sentence]

I1:Okay. So many scams happening in the country. I am fed up of democracy, I want to get rid of it.What's you take on this?
Kunal:[Smiles]We do not have an option do we ?I would want ti answer this question in 2 parts.[Explained why there is no alternative and the fact that we have a multiparty democracy.Secondly I mentioned about the 4th pillar of democracy which is the press and said that we should be proud of their dynamism. Removal of democracy would mean removal of the freedom of press]
[I ranted on]Part of the circumstances that have shaped my views is that I spent 4 years in Kerala where I have seen students the same age as mine being very politically motivated.It is different from other parts of the country [blah blah blah]

I2: How many states are going into elections in the next month?
Kunal: 4

I2: Sure
Kunal: Yes

I2: Name them
Kunal: Kerala,Tamil Nadu,West Bengal and Assam

I2: Which is the 5th state?
Kunal:[Smiles] Oh. I don't know if there is a fifth state

I2: It is Pondichery
Kunal[Never knew Pondicherry had elections][Smiles]It is a Union territory

I2: [Smiles] Okay Kunal . That should be it.
I1: Do you have any question for us?
Kunal: Yes. I have been meaning to ask that given my entrepreneurial ambitions , will their be electives catering to entrepreneurship?
I1: [He mentioned there will be and that they are willing to improve on a cell catering specifically to entrepreneurship]

Kunal: Are there incubation facilities for new businesse?
I1: Yes . There the new cell could have such facilities. You will also have a holiday placement offer option.

Kunal: What is a holiday placement ?
I1: You can try out different things like your business among other things fresh out of campus and if for some reason you wish to get back and get placed then the campus will allow you after 2 years of your passing out.[Atleast that's what I understood]

Kunal: Wow
I2: [Smiles]Nice option . isn't it?
Kunal: [Smiles].Yes great option. You will be able to hedge your risks.

I1: Okay, Kunal. Thank you
Kunal: Thank you and it was a pleasure talking to you

The professors, like I said before, were incredibly comforting with their mannerisms. Presently hoping for the good news . The results for IIMK ,I learnt, will be out in the first week of May.

Related links:

IIM Bangalore - The interview

IIM Indore - The interview

IIM Shillong - The interview

2 comments:

Mohini Puranik said...

Hi Kunal! Thanks for sharing this interview and your thoughts too. Inspiring for MBA Aspirants. And the way you faced the interview. BTW I am also Elex engg. Glad to meet you. :) Best luck!

Debmalya said...

u did good yaar.... ready for the palayam to kunnamangalam bus rides ?